Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Joy and the Struggle



Robert Bateman experiences artistic tension? The Vancouver Sun's article, 'Robert Bateman's Joy and Struggle', caught my interest.

The entire subject of the emotive, creative experience, is widely debated among artists. I have heard artists tell me point blank, "I paint for pleasure, and if its not a happy experience, its time to put my brushes away."

Most people who aren't into the artistic experience, hold fast to the mantra, that painting is a serene, joyful, beautiful experience.

Painters sometimes tell you that they paint best of all when they are 'in the zone'.

But from my experience, painting is a mixed bag. Sometimes when the muse is upon me, I paint in the zone. Other times its an anxiety charged, frustrating experience.

I once posed a question to about ten people in an artist's internet chatroom, "How many have suffered from depression." The response caught me by surprise. I know that artists are a sensitively tuned lot, but I didn't expect it when 80% admitted to struggling with depression.

Another artist friend of mine, produces a depression blog.

So, when Robert Bateman publicly admitted that the creative process can be a struggle, he swept away some of the myths that people have about the inspired artist who paints in a visionary state of profound insight.

Nonsense. Most people I know who paint, are continuously engaged in making critical decisions about colour, subject matter and design.

An artist from Edmonton told me that he has been known to take a knife to his works.
Better the canvas than his left ear.

Check out this story,'Robert Bateman's Joy and Struggle', in the Vancouver Sun by clicking here.

To visit Robert Bateman's site, please click here.


Do you suffer from depression? If so you may wish to check my friend Wendy's web site, Depressiongetaway. Please Click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting your comments.
ATTENTION SPAMMERS: Comments with links to other websites, will not be accepted.

A message for anonymous posters: Comments will be accepted provided they are thoughtful and articulate.

Reciprocating comments between posters will not be accepted. Sorry - I have no intention of giving readers the opportunity to engage in flame wars. It won't happen.

Fredericks-Artworks Blog, copying policy


The Canadian Copyright act, section 29 reports on fairdealing, that it is not an infringement to reproduce someone else's work for research, study, criticism, review or to report. Which pretty much sums up what this site is about. All content sources, be they artists, printed references, and website url's are respectfully identified on this site. http://http//www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/stat/rsc-1985-c-c-42/latest/rsc-1985-c-c-42.html

Mission Statement
A Portrait of the Visual Arts in Canada, is intended to celebrate the richness of Canada's visual arts, and to promote the arts in Canada.

Statement of Intent
I make every effort to credit the sources of information used in this blog and to obtain the permission and cooperation of all the works presented by living artists. I try, as much as possible to use works from public sources eg. national and provincial collections, of deceased artists. If for any reason, any artist disapproves of anything written about them or their work the artist is encouraged to request withdrawal of the content.