Sunday, June 24, 2012

Ion Vincent Danu, Artist from Shebrooke Qu.



"I am a Canadian visual artist, born in Sibiu, Transylvania. I loved to draw as an infant and between 14 and 18 I was an 'apprentice artist' at the Art High School in Sibiu. Then life took over and for about 20 + years art was just an occasional delight... I've returned to my first love, drawing, painting, in Sherbrooke, Quebec, where I immigrated with my family in 1998. Since 2003, I'm a full-time professional artist, teaching artistic expression to catholic nuns on the side...

I paint mostly in watercolor and acrylics but I cannot stop myself experimenting with all kind of other themes, materials and styles (The art dealers say this is not good but what the heck!?) I've learned to take pictures since I was 11-12 years old and a camera is always somewhere near. I use photography as a art in itself and also as an auxiliary source of inspiration and documentation for my drawings and paintings. Recently, I've started to work in the fascinating field of digital art.

Writing is a complementary mean to express myself (and, as Graham Greene, put it once: a therapy.) Being an admirer (not to say a huge fan!) of Vincent van Gogh I have a blog called just that: 'Van Gogh and I'. Please click here to visit the site.

In fact, what Graham Greene saidabout writing is, for me too, emblematic:

'Writing is a form of therapy; sometimes I wonder how all those who do not write, compose or PAINT can manage to escape the madness, the melancholia, the panic fear which is inherent in the human situation. Auden noted: 'Man needs escape as he needs food and deep sleep.'

A couple of years ago I understood that my main vocation was to draw portraits (the thing Vincent van Gogh, his favorite artist, always wanted to do - and did - but less than he wanted...) Now, he is quite happy and hopes to stay like that...no matter what..."

To visit Ion's site to see his paintings, please click here.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see a fellow artist from Sherbrooke, QC featured on this blog! Ion, you have an instant follow from this girl :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting your comments.
ATTENTION SPAMMERS: Comments with links to other websites, will not be accepted.

A message for anonymous posters: Comments will be accepted provided they are thoughtful and articulate.

Reciprocating comments between posters will not be accepted. Sorry - I have no intention of giving readers the opportunity to engage in flame wars. It won't happen.

Fredericks-Artworks Blog, copying policy


The Canadian Copyright act, section 29 reports on fairdealing, that it is not an infringement to reproduce someone else's work for research, study, criticism, review or to report. Which pretty much sums up what this site is about. All content sources, be they artists, printed references, and website url's are respectfully identified on this site. http://http//www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/stat/rsc-1985-c-c-42/latest/rsc-1985-c-c-42.html

Mission Statement
A Portrait of the Visual Arts in Canada, is intended to celebrate the richness of Canada's visual arts, and to promote the arts in Canada.

Statement of Intent
I make every effort to credit the sources of information used in this blog and to obtain the permission and cooperation of all the works presented by living artists. I try, as much as possible to use works from public sources eg. national and provincial collections, of deceased artists. If for any reason, any artist disapproves of anything written about them or their work the artist is encouraged to request withdrawal of the content.